We all spent last weekend in our family home and to celebrate this visit Monika, our cousin, Ola, and I baked a fantastic cake – really delicious and very easy to prepare. The only secret is to use the best quality product. Take some very fresh eggs, butter and fruits from local market and get cooking!
Thus, for the pastry you will need:
– 250g unsalted butter
– 200g icing sugar (you can use less If you don’t want it to be very sweet)
– 250g plain flour
– 4 eggs
– 1 tsp. baking powder
For the crumble:
– 125g unsalted butter (next time however I’ll use less because it was a bit too ‘wet’ for me)
– 200g plain flour
– 100g sugar
And fruits of course! Any you fancy. Feel free to mix them as you want. We had plums, peaches and blackberries in our cake but strawberries, raspberries, blueberries would be great as well…Any berries! Or apricots, nectarines, and in late autumn – soft apples or pears. I can’t wait for apples (my favorite fruits) this year. I’ll make this cake with less pastry and lots of apples, crumble, some chopped nuts and cinnamon.
1. First make the crumble. Just mix all ingredients and put it to the fridge. That’ll make it more crusty.
2. Now beat butter for pastry with sugar until they become creamy.
3. Very slowly, one by one tip in eggs stirring the mixture.
4. Now it’s the time to mix flour with baking powder and blend it with the mixture.
5. Preheat the oven to 180º C.
6. Line the pastry in a baking tin, place sliced fruits (densely)…
7. …and sprinkle with the crumble.
8. Put it to the oven, bake for an hour and be patient.
There is no better fragrance than smell of homemade cake. We ate ours still hot and served it with vanilla ice-cream and our mum red berries juice.
Take advantage of last days of summer and bake for your friends and family!
We were inspired by Kwestia smaku.